ECHO Donate Life
Celebrated July 14-27, 2019, ECHO Donate Life is an annual initiative focused on reaching multicultural communities with the Donate Life message. Currently, multicultural patients make up a majority of the patients waiting on the national transplant waiting list.
ECHO Donate Life is about community helping community to save and heal lives. Lifesaving conversations are best heard from trusted sources and communities. The goal of ECHO Donate Life is to provide multicultural communities with meaningful tools and resources to support conversations about the importance of donation and transplantation, and how to register your decision to be an organ, eye and tissue donor.
The ECHO Donate Life initiative engages trusted social media and community storytelling to talk about donation, highlights the importance of registering to be an organ, eye and tissue donor, honors the generosity of donors and donor families, and celebrates the lives saved in multicultural communities.
“Donation is the one thing that has the power to level the playing field in all communities, regardless of color, race, or religion. It’s about every community helping every community through organ, eye, and tissue donation. Donation, in all its forms, in all its communities, has the opportunity to change and save lives,” says Marion Shuck, President Elect of the Association of Multicultural Affairs in Transplantation (AMAT).
This year, ECHO Donate Life resources, storytelling and outreach will include:
- Walgreens ECHO Donate Life In-Store Events: On Saturday, July 20, 9am-3pm, Walgreens will be hosting donor registration drives at more than 170 stores across the country. Walgreens has been an incredible national partner in ECHO Donate Life. Walgreens support has helped to bring resources and information about the cause of donation into hundreds of communities. Here is the list of participating Walgreens stores:
- 3333 Masonic Dr., Alexandria, LA 71301
- 11297 Florida Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70815
- 4110 General Degaulle Dr., New Orleans, LA 70131
- 1801 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans, LA 70130
- 3747 Moss St., Lafayette, LA 70507
- 2000 Gertsner Memorial Dr., Lake Charles, LA 70601
- 2636 Ryan St., Lake Charles, LA 70601
- 3555 Greenwood Rd., Shreveport, LA 71109
- Boomerang #ECHODonateLife Challenge: DLA and AMAT are excited to host the second year of the Instagram Boomerang #ECHODonateLife Challenge. Individuals and communities share a Boomerang video on Instagram about why donation is important to them and/or what transplantation has made possible for them. Tag @donatelifeamerica, use the hashtag #ECHODonateLife Challenge and encourage people to ECHO you and register their decision to be a donor.
You can register your decision to be an organ, eye and tissue donor with The Louisiana Organ, Tissue & Eye Donor Registry, at RegisterMe.org , in your iPhone Health App, or in Spanish at DoneVida.org.
Data from Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) as of April 2019.