Legacy Quilt Information
Celebrate your loved one and other donor heroes by creating a square to honor them in our next quilt. You can make your square the traditional way and either mail it to our office or bring it with you to our annual Gift of Sight Celebration. We are also now offering the digital submission option, see the details below.
Southern Eye Bank is offering a new way to honor your donor hero with a Digital Legacy Quilt!
There are two ways to do it:
- We are happy to design your square for you using photos of your loved one, images of their favorite things, or a short quote or memory. Families may submit an 8″ x 8″ high-resolution square by choosing the upload option at the bottom of the Digital Legacy Quilt Submission form. Click here for full specs and details.
- Another way is for you to submit your choice of photos, images, and information requested on the submission form, and Southern Eye Bank will create a digital square for you.
These digital quilt squares will be shared on Southern Eye Bank’s social media channels and website. All you need to do is to fill out our Digital Legacy Quilt Submission form and include the images you would like us to use.
If you would like to create your custom square, we have a few guidelines to follow. We recommend using Canva, a user-friendly, free online design and publishing tool to create your square. Canva is filled with options for templates, color palettes, images, and shapes to help you achieve your design. Please find our guidelines and step-by-step instructions for creating your own digital legacy quilt square here.
Please note that we cannot complete a quilt until we have received at least 12 donor squares—there’s no time like the present to get started!
An Invitation to Participate in our Donor Family Legacy Quilts
Dedicated to the legacy of eye donors, Southern Eye Bank’s donor family quilts commemorate those who shared the gift of sight with others.
Donor families are invited to create a 9″ x 9″ quilt square in memory of their loved one. The design should be contained within an 8″ x 8″ space, allowing a seam to sew the square into the quilt. Use fabric paints, markers, thread, and/or fabric patches to make your square. You may wish to include a photo of your loved one, their name, date of birth, and/or date of death. Do not finish the square with quilting or backing since our volunteer will perform this step.
- Visit the Southern Eye Bank Instagram for examples of past squares
- Visit the Southern Eye Bank Pinterest page for tips on sewing, creating fabric transfers, printing on fabric, and more
- Read our blog post on transferring images for step-by-step instructions and resources
We are always creating new quilts and quilt squares are accepted year-round. Once you have completed the square, you may send it by registered mail to our office or bring it with you to our annual Gift of Sight Celebration. The event gathers donor families and corneal transplant recipients to honor our donors.
Please send your square by registered mail to:
Southern Eye Bank
2701 Kingman Street, Suite 200
Metairie, LA 70006